Environmental management will be driven by legislation. To make it most effective it requires champions within an organization to first define and then deliver a commitment to protect and manage an organizations impact on the environment.
- Environmental compliance is based on legislation – find out which ones, log them and monitor them actively. Ignorance is not an excuse.
- Sustainability is often wrongly used in the place of environmental management.
- Key to environmental compliance is diligence in monitoring, completion of mitigating actions, emergency response planning, and communication.
- It may not be possible to have a positive environmental impact
- What is always possible is to ensure negative impact is minimized
- Objectives can be used as a positive driver for change in your organization’s products or services and thus add perceived value