Issues are things that happen. Things outside of your plans. Things that distract, influence and force us to make compromises. Do not dismiss issues or fight through them – manage the things and get back to your plans.
- Issues are either risks that have been realized or things you must address now, or very soon.
- Key to management of issues is prioritization
- Establish priority based on three criteria:
- Impact of not resolving the issue
- Ability to resolve the issue (do you have the best resources available)
- Impact of moving resource to address issues on the originally planned work, don’t just move from one problem to create another
- Take time to plan, do not panic and fight fires and ensure the plan involves delegation whenever possible
- The only truth is that as time passes resolving the issue is likely to become harder (beware the Incident Pit)